Directed by: Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar
The Data Science and Decisions Lab at UCLA focuses on a broad variety of topics
· Data Science/Big Data, Machine Learning, Medical Informatics and Clinical Decisions, Personalized Education, and Actionable Intelligence for a Smarter Planet (in collaboration with IBM Research).
· Game Theory, Network Science, Social, Societal and Biological Networks.
The UCLA Data Science and Decisions Lab in the Public Eye click here
Mihaela van der Schaar is also the founder and managing director of UCLA Center for Engineering Economics, Learning, and Networks
· Prof. van der Schaar will lecture in the IEEE SPS Summer School on Signal Processing and Machine Learning for Big Data. For details see (IEEESPS)
· Starting PhD student Jinsung Yoon is the recipient of the 2015-2016 Outstanding Master's Thesis in Signals Systems. Congratulations to Jinsung for this well-deserved recognition!
· Prof. van der Schaar and collaborators organize (again) 2nd Machine Learning for Education Workshop at Premier Machine Learning Conference. Check the workshop's website via this link: (medianetlab.ee.ucla.edu/ICML-Education2016.html)
· The work of PhD student Kartik Ahuja (with Dr. Yuanzhang Xiao and Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar) on next-generation wireless networks is highlighted on the IEEE spotlight website: (check the article via this link!).
· Graduating PhD student Jie Xu is the recipient of the 2014-2015 Outstanding PhD Dissertation in Signals Systems and starting PhD student Onur Atan is the recipient of the recipient of the 2014-2015 Outstanding Master's Thesis in Signals Systems. Congratulations to both for this well-deserved recognition!
· Prof. van der Schaar and collaborators organize Machine Learning for Education Workshop at Premier Machine Learning Conference: (http://dsp.rice.edu/ML4Ed_ICML2015)
· Two recent columns in the NYTimes have highlighted the work of Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar and her group on ratings and reputations in social networks. The first column (http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/can-we-build-a-safer-internet/) discusses how the work can be used to promote a safer Internet and in particular to discourage malicious users. The second column (http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/an-easier-way-to-fight-bullying/) discusses how the work can be used to control social bullying behavior in societies.
· Postdoctoral Scholar Dr. Cem Tekin will join the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bilkent University as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in February 2015. Congratulations Cem!
· PhD student Jie Xu will join the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Miami as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in August 2015. Congratulations Jie!
· Our work on social norms can build a safer Internet - see our work in NY Times: http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/can-we-build-a-safer-internet/
· PhD students Jie Xu and Simpson Zhang (Economics) receive the 2014-2015 Dissertation Year Fellowship.
· Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar will give a keynote lecture at the IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics - Taiwan (IEEE ICCE-TW 2014) on Real-time Discovery and Decision Making from Big Data. [link]
· Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar will give a keynote lecture at the Quality of Experience for Multimedia Communications Workshop - QoEMC2013 - at Globecom 2013
· Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar and Dr. Cem Tekin will give a tutorial on Online Learning in Multi-agent Environments - Applications to Communication and Networking at Globecom 2013
· Dr. Yu Zhang receives 2013 Dimitris N. Chorafas Foundation Awards for his PhD thesis.
· Prof. van der Schaar gives keynote speech at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association Group National Telecommunications and Information Technologies of Italy: http://www.gtti.it/GTTI13/riunione.php
· Postdoc Dr. Luca Canzian receives Best 2012-2013 GTTI PhD Awards in ICT.
· PhD student Yuanzhang Xiao receives the 2013-2014 Dissertation Year Fellowship.
· Dr. Yu Zhang receives the Distinguished PhD Dissertation Award 2013.
· Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar and Prof. William Zame give tutorial on Games and Design in Signal Processing at ICASSP 2013 - for details and registration, please visit: http://www.icassp2013.com/Tutorial_12.asp
· Prof. van der Schaar delivers 2012 Eliahu I and Joyce Jury Seminar at the ECE Department of University of Miami: http://www.facebook.com/events/367927896632584/
· Prof. van der Schaar gives plenary talk at 2013 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC 2013): http://www.conf-icnc.org/2013
· Prof. van der Schaar gives plenary talk at 2012 European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO-2012): http://www.eusipco2012.org/home.php
· Dr. Shaolei Ren will join the School of Computing and Information Sciences, Florida International University (FIU) as a tenure-track Assistant Professor in August 2012. He will also be affiliated with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, FIU.
· PhD student Yu Zhang receives the 2012-2013 Dissertation Year Fellowship.
· Prof. van der Schaar is Workshop Co-Chair of IEEE ICC 2012 Workshop on Realizing Advanced Video Optimized Wireless Networks Co-located with ICC 2012, Ottawa, Canada, USA. [link]
· Dr. Nicholas Mastronarde received the 2011 Dimitris N. Chorafas Foundation Awards for his research "Online Learning and Dynamic Optimization for Multimedia Systems".
· Prof. van der Schaar gives keynote talk at the Fifth IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing September 19-21, 2011 Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA. [link]
· Prof. van der Schaar gives Keynote Talk at the 6th International Conference on Image and Graphics (ICIG) in Hefei, China. [link]
· Dr. Jaeok Park will join School of Economics, Yonsei University, Korea, as a tenure-track assistant professor in September, 2011.
· Prof. Lei He and Prof. Mihaela Van Der Schaar and their students Zhen Cao and Dr. Brian Foo received the 2011 IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Darlington Award for the journal paper titled "Optimality and Improvement of Dynamic Voltage Scaling Algorithms for Multimedia Applications," published in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 681-690, March 2010. [paper link]
The IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems Darlington Best Paper Award recognizes the best paper bridging the gap between theory and practice published in the "Transactions on Circuits and Systems" publication. The award is based on general quality, originality, contributions, subject matter and timeliness.
· Dr. Nicholas Mastronarde will join Department of Electrical Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo, as a tenure-track assistant professor in August 2011.
· PhD student Shaolei Ren receives the 2011-2012 Dissertation Year Fellowship.
· Dr. Yi Su (UCLA EE PhD '10) and Prof. Mihaela van der Schaar received Best Paper Award for their paper entitled "Additively Coupled Sum Constrained Games" at GameNets 2011 in Shanghai, China.
· Prof. van der Schaar has been elected Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Communications Society for 2011 and 2012.
· Shaolei Ren is one of the 10 Ph.D. students worldwide invited to attend the 2010 Watson Workshop "Emerging Leaders in Multimedia and Signal Processing" organized by IBM Research.
· Two tutorials at ACM Multimedia on A Systematic Framework for Cross-layer Optimization in Dynamic Multimedia Networks and Systems and on Designing and Optimizing Large-Scale Multimedia Mining Applications in Distributed Processing Environments.
· 2nd Southern California Network Economics and Game Theory will take place at UCLA, Electrical Engineering Department, on Nov. 11 and 12, 2010.
· Prof. van der Schaar will become IEEE Trans. on Multimedia Editor in Chief Starting Jan. 2011.
· Prof. van der Schaar delivers keynote speech at IEEE Wireless Advanced Conference.
· Prof. van der Schaar is Special Session Chair at ICASSP 2011.
· PhD student Nicholas Mastronarde receives the 2010-2011 Dissertation Year Fellowship.
· Alumnus of Data Science and Decisions Lab, Dr. Hyunggon Park, becomes Assistant Professor in the Department of Electronics Engineering at the Ewha Womans University, Seoul, South Korea starting March 2010.
Data Science and Decisions Lab